So we got Exchange 2007 migrated over to 2010. We still have to shut down the old server and migrate the SPAM Filter box over to the new VM host but those shouldn’t be too hard (crossing fingers). We used two sources of reference for the migration which were a great help.  The first was really all we needed since we utilize a single server deployment. The second is great because it has a knowledge base connected to it that can also be referenced. So now were up to date and will deprecate the old exchange server tomorrow night. This is apart of our plans to upgrade many core components in our business to help us learn and grow. So far so good but that’s what happens when you got two guys that plan things out all the time. :)

(Patting ourselves on the back)

Exchange Migration in 2Hrs

MS Exchage 2010 Deployment Assistant

OLD SCHOOL!                                  NEW WITH THAT CANDY PAINT!

UPDATE 1:

So everything looked good until i started uninstalling Exchange 2007 from the old server. I decided to follow the tutorial a little backwards and transfer the FSMO roles at the end. The issue that I witnessed was not the inability for users to log into web mail which was one of my first fears during this. The behavior I got was with Outlook accessing the user mailbox. It seems the change over of the back end server showed up sure enough under the user account setup since we are using Outlook anywhere, formerly HTTP/RPC. When the user logs in with Outlook they are prompted for the password but the client shows Disconnected and when trying to just make a new profile I get the following error.

The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.”

From the link you see a few fixes that point to RPC issues and GPO pushes. I didn’t really read through it because I was looking for something a bit quicker. I ran the system health check command “Test-SystemHealth” via the Exchange Management Shell and got a warning that the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service was not running. I researched and started the service. Then I used a technique I learned a while back. Check for services set to “Automatic” but not running. Sure enough the following services were not running.

  • Microsoft Exchange Edge Sync
  • Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access <—looks like were on to something here
  • Microsoft Exchange Information Store <—kind of a big deal but it was starting up at the time
  • Microsoft Exchange Service Host
  • Microsoft Exchange System Attendant <—seems like this service is a dependency of others

So I restarted them manually where needed and the Outlook users were able to connect. Since I haven’t fully transferred the roles of the other server totally I will say that this is because of that. My reasoning behind this is to make sure the new server can run without the old server, which it has, then transfer the roles accordingly, which i am doing now. Then test again by restarting and ensuring those services are running.

Currently using this article to transfer over the roles, which is super easy and it has pictures :): Transferring FSMO Roles in Windows Server 2008

Update 2:
So after transferring roles and shutting down the old server without removing it from the domain the same behavior is occurring. So i think to myself, “I wonder if there are any updates for Exchange 2010?” Guess what there are two service packs have been released and this did not show up in the Update tool at all nor did the Test-SystemHealth command find it. Ugh well because of limited bandwidth to my colo space so I have to wait 2 hours for each SP download. I may not need both but im going to get them both anyway just in case. I should have just searched myself for updates.

Update 3:
Ok i think were good. So i updated to Exchange 2010 SP2 which should have been done in the first place but I didn’t even know it was released. I had to search for it since MS update didn’t notify like it usually does for SPs. So more down time and restarts. Everything was smooth until those services weren’t starting. Either way its good now after the update and I also set the services to Automatic (Delayed Start) because at one point I saw that the Information Store was still starting while those same services were stopping. This is why i opted to have them start later on. Now they start and my Outlook users are able to connect without an issue. The old server was also deprecated and removed as a DC. Now i have to take it out completely. Which shouldn’t be hard…why did i say that :( Well here is to hoping.

The following services were set to Automatic (Delayed Start)

  • Microsoft Exchange Edge Sync
  • Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access
  • Microsoft Exchange Forms-Based Authentication
  • Microsoft Exchange Service Host
  • Microsoft Exchange Protected Service Host
  • Microsoft Exchange System Attendant

Update 4:
DONE & DONE. We have finalized the move and deprecated the old Exchange 2007 VM using the tutorial above with some of the services tweaks listed. Basically it was easy but the issues I ran into were just due to updates being applied and taking my sweet ass time getting rid of the old VM. Though I personally like to call it being cautious. Either way everything still works and the old VM host has been deprecated as well and will be removed soon. Phew! Well onto the next project.